Connect Backup Best Practice

jcoyne

Hi Guys,

I'd welcome any wisdom on the best way of backing up Connect cases. Currently I rsync the whole case directory to another drive, but notice that all of the files that the user has previewed appears in the directory structure - which are not really needed for the backup. I only really need the ability to backup the annotations (comments, tags, saved searches, lists etc)

jcoyne I have Veeam Endpoint (free) running on my Connect server backing up the Case data with a traditional full/incremental setup, then in addition I also sync the entire case folder to a network share 'as is'.

While you are right there is probably some extra info there that strictly speaking isn't needed, I look at it as taking a time hit now so if disaster recovery is needed I can get the case up and shared again instantly by simply pointing Connect to the network share for the case. 

This has the added benefit that all the 'previewed' flags etc will be there so your client will not notice any difference from viewing the backed up data to the original.

Just be aware that Veeam is quite resource intensive on the server so make sure you have the backup run when it's not in use. I'm not sure if it's just my server or this happens in general but my remote users report a major slow down when the backup process is running, and I have had backups take a few days to complete.

So as far as the fact that it's free and it does proper incremental backups it's good, however the negatives do have an impact.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd just revisit this as I've had some concerns with just how resource intensive Veeam is when backing up. It made the server very slow for anyone accessing via the web to the point where I had to keep cancelling backups to allow clients to use the server.

I've just switched to Iperius Backup Freeware and am running a full backup now and this didn't appear to slow down my access when I logged in remotely and previewed a case. Veeam may not have been the issue here, it could be something with my setup, but just thought I'd mention it in case you were having issues with Veeam and needed another solution.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...