old case conversion 1.7.3 - wont work on new intella

fuzed

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I did that in the end, however if I have an old case file that a user needs to come back to later on how can I get this done?  We have some old cases that are no longer being accessed, but I'm sure someone in the future may ask to access that case file?

I think backwards compatibility is important, or there should be a means to port over user data from an old case into a new case?

Fuzed I've come across this with some government contract work that I do from time to time.

The easiest solution is to install 1.7.x and use that to view the data. You can have different versions of Intella running side by side without any issues.

Alternatively you may be able to upgrade the case in steps, a little time consuming but install multiple versions of intella on the machine (1.7, 1.8, 1.9 ect) then upgrade the case one version at a time until it's up to current. Not sure if that's possible but it might be an alternative work around.

Having 1.7.x installed for such cases is a good idea. Keep in mind that this version was released 5 years ago, which translates to 5 years of ongoing improvements and modifications of our databases. This makes migration path between major versions complex, so if you want to be on a safe side it's best to open a case in version where it was created (unless you badly need a feature from more recent release). This of course doesn't mean that we don't provide backwards compatibility layer. We pay very close attention to that matter and we never leave our users without clear instructions how to proceed. Each time we issue a new release we also publish "Release notes" document. The last section is always about case migration and backwards compatibility, so please get familiar with those instructions if you want to be pro-active about supporting old cases.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...