[locked] Wish list/suggestions V1

AdamS

Or maybe an 'Adam warning' that pops up when I try to do something stupid and asks "Really!?" :P

But in all seriousness when applying tags or removing tags there is no cancel button on the little pop up progress window like there is when you are exporting items. I'm not sure if this is because it's a process that can't be halted or if it was just something that was never anticipated.

It's the first time I've encountered something like this and really it was my own fault because I had set the tag behaviour to also tag all nested and duplicates (for a different reason) then forgot to disable when I was tagging some attachments. Due to the fact I was tagging around 150k attachments once all the duplicates and sibling items were tagged it ended up being over 3.5m items and took a few hours to actually apply the tags.

Hence the idiot button as I don't think it's likely to happen often but when it does the cancel option would be a real time saver ;)

As a suggestion, I wondering if something like an Export Template Manager maybe worth including in later versions of Intella as a way of managing a library of templates.

At the moment, I am tweaking a template that I am creating for a Concordance LoadFile Export for a particular regulatory.  This involves highlighting the necessary items, exporting as a load file and selecting my options.  But if I notice from the output that this or that needs to be tweaked further, I have to stop the export, make changes and re-run.  As a result, I end up with multiple versions of the same named export template, each with slighty different settings. I'm thinking that if there was an Export Template Manager, then I could simply go into my template, make the necessary tweaks, perhaps add or modify a field for example, and save my template.  I can see features such as the following being useful:

1. Add new template.
  2. Duplicate or copy template - if I have a template for a particular regulator, and need to produce a template for another regulator, that seems to want a similar format, then I cnould copy an existing template, and then just modify per my requirements.
  3. Export template - maybe I have several PCs with intella on and need the same export template running on each.  It could be that I have several cases running for different productions to the same regulatory all needing to have the same export requierments.
  4. Delete template
  5. Import Template

I think something like this would help those that use Intella on multple investgations for multiple clients, having to produce to multiple investigating agencies, typically at the same time, using multiple PCs to process and export data.

Hi Mark, until the Intella guys get back to you with probably a more elegant solution :P I thought I'd offer my 2 cents.

If you want to have custodians allocated to the source data this can be accomplished by created a directory structure before you index. My normal practice is to have a folder called 'Raw Email' or 'Raw Data', then within that folder create sub folders with the custodian names, then dump the relevant data in each named custodian file. Point Intella at the 'Raw Data' folder and when Intella indexes it maintains that folder structure under the 'locations' facet and you have your linkage for custodian ownership.

With point 5 there is another option, which is not exactly what you are asking for but would at least give you something to work with.

In the top right hand corner you will see 'Cluster Map, Social Graph and Statistics'. If you click on the statistics tab it will give you some graphical and textual statistics, there are three lots of tabs within that 'Overview, HIstogram and Emails' you could grab screen shots of each of those and include them as a picture break down of the stats.

On point 3 could I add that if the syntax can support those type of queries, that it would also be good if when we save a search that as part of that process Intella could also automatically generate a text file and save it as part of the case data, maybe under a new folder called 'saved searches', and in that text file is the exact syntax that would be needed to replicate that search. This would give us a single text file with any saved search and the syntax to replicate it with the current data set.

Actually I think a separate Custodian field is better, as a regulator that I'm working with at the moment does want a custodian field within the load file export.dat file.

As a suggestion, I wondering if something like an Export Template Manager maybe worth including in later versions of Intella as a way of managing a library of templates.

At the moment, I am tweaking a template that I am creating for a Concordance LoadFile Export for a particular regulatory.  This involves highlighting the necessary items, exporting as a load file and selecting my options.  But if I notice from the output that this or that needs to be tweaked further, I have to stop the export, make changes and re-run.  As a result, I end up with multiple versions of the same named export template, each with slighty different settings. I'm thinking that if there was an Export Template Manager, then I could simply go into my template, make the necessary tweaks, perhaps add or modify a field for example, and save my template.  I can see features such as the following being useful:

1. Add new template.
  2. Duplicate or copy template - if I have a template for a particular regulator, and need to produce a template for another regulator, that seems to want a similar format, then I cnould copy an existing template, and then just modify per my requirements.
  3. Export template - maybe I have several PCs with intella on and need the same export template running on each.  It could be that I have several cases running for different productions to the same regulatory all needing to have the same export requierments.
  4. Delete template
  5. Import Template

I think something like this would help those that use Intella on multple investgations for multiple clients, having to produce to multiple investigating agencies, typically at the same time, using multiple PCs to process and export data.

Mark,

Template can be created and added into the list, just by making an export. At the last step of the export, you should be able to save current export settings as template. The last step of an export is also the place where you can delete selected template by using button "Remove".

If you need to export/import templates to other PCs, you can navigate to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Intella\export-templates and in this folder you will see all of the templates that are available to you in Intella. You can just copy the individual XML files representing particular template to the other PC.

Actually I think a separate Custodian field is better, as a regulator that I'm working with at the moment does want a custodian field within the load file export.dat file.

I haven't worked with any of the load files yet so I'm not sure exactly what fields they create as part of the load file, but I would have though both the 'location' and 'source' fields would be part of any load file. Either or both of these can be used to identify the custodian to get the information you need.

If you have 5 .PST archives for Custodian A you can name them accordingly by using a prefix or suffix or completely renaming the file depending on your needs. 'Custodian_A1.PST' 'Custodian_A2.PST' etc, or with the folder structure I suggested initially. If you take these steps prior to indexing you will have from that point on linkage between the source data and the custodians they came from.

I can see the use in what you are asking for I merely offer this as a work around to at least get the info you need until such a field might be added in future updates :)

Although as I'm looking there is no 'source' facet to take advantage of this field, so perhaps that is not exported.

I would add that as a wish to have a 'source' facet (as distinct from the location facet) to enable us to filter by specific source files. I know it's already possible to do this via the 'locations' facet, however when using location's you have to drill down into the directory structure (if there is one) to locate the actual source file itself. When I export email data from the evidence I always maintain the directory structure which means the source files can sometimes be buried deep in the folders.

Edit : I'm hoping by the relative quietness of Intella people in here at the moment that this means the 1.7.4 release is imminent... :rolleyes:  I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this update as I anticipate some upgrade goodness, particularly from what I've been hearing about Connect,

Thanks AdamS.

Your suggestion is a useful work around for the investigator, but a regulator may want a specific custodian name field in the production metatdata file so they can identifiy specific custodian data sets within their own platform.  Every other eDiscovery tool I have worked with allows me to enter a custodian name, so this would be a very useful feature for Intella.

I can't recall if I've asked about this before, but when conducting multiple searches there doesn't appear to be a simple way to show common hits.

By that I mean if I search for 3 different words using the balls it's quite easy initially to see the emails which contain multiple hits, either 2 or all of the 3 words, but when you move up with 4 or more keywords it can become very difficult to figure out which files contain multiple hits.

What would be perfect and possibly quite simple would be to add a small field at the bottom of the box in the upper right corner (currently has Search results, includes, excludes etc) that has "must include * " where the * is a small free text box that you can type a number in. If you have 5 searches currently applied then you can select 1-5 so then the only results displayed will be those that contain as many of the search results as you have specified. If the box is left empty then the current behavior remains the same.

I'd love to either see integrated OCR capability with Intella. I've been looking into ABBYY Recognition Server and it looks like a fantastic product, unfortunately it's pricey. Given the uncertain nature of this type of work we couldn't take the risk of a page limited license, so that means unlimited pages and that starts around 12k with 2k SMS.

Maybe some sort of partnership building that into Intella..?

OCR pickings are fairly slim at the low end of the budget :)

I'd be interested to know what software anyone else is using for bulk PDF scanning (100k or more at a time).

• 2 weeks later...

I can't recall if I've asked about this before, but when conducting multiple searches there doesn't appear to be a simple way to show common hits.

By that I mean if I search for 3 different words using the balls it's quite easy initially to see the emails which contain multiple hits, either 2 or all of the 3 words, but when you move up with 4 or more keywords it can become very difficult to figure out which files contain multiple hits.

What would be perfect and possibly quite simple would be to add a small field at the bottom of the box in the upper right corner (currently has Search results, includes, excludes etc) that has "must include * " where the * is a small free text box that you can type a number in. If you have 5 searches currently applied then you can select 1-5 so then the only results displayed will be those that contain as many of the search results as you have specified. If the box is left empty then the current behavior remains the same.

There is already an alternative method. Note the second-to-last button in the Cluster Map's toolbar. When selected, only the most-connected clusters are shown (with a maximum of seven, if I recall correctly).

You can combine this with a rank-based color scheme (see the third button in the toolbar), which colors clusters based on how many search result sets they relate to. See the attached image. Here you can immediately see that there is only one cluster that links to all five search terms. All other clusters always lack one search term.

I had to redrag some clusters to improve the graph layout.

filters and colors.png

WIsh list - Nested Phrases.

Plain and simple, I NEED to be able to nest phrases and expression in search queries. 

I need to able to proximity search a [phrase and a word] or a [phrase and a phrase].  I.E.: ("credit card") w/5 (statement OR invoice)

This is a simplified example, but I often have 20 terms on either side of the proximity argument.

I do this regularly in DTSearch and it works fine, but I when indexing, searching and creating export batches it is overly compicated to have to use two different tools to index and search the same data.

I would second the request to be able to nest phrases or more complicated options for the proximity searching.

PF1 can the existing capabilities be used to accomplish what you need?

"credit invoice" ~5  

OR

"credit card invoice" ~5

Neither will be as accurate as a fully nested query I know but they should both give you all the occurrences, it would just require a bit more manual work to sift out the ones you need.

AdamS,

I am actually using the second example you posted, but many of my matters involve 500+ key terms, so eliminating any element of manual parsing is the whole reason I am using the indexed tools like Intella.  I use DTSearch as well, and it can handle extensive nested queries, complex searching, etc but does not inherently have the output features of Intella.

The ability to search by item ID is possible within Connect but not within Intella itself it would seem. With the Connect GUI when you highlight Item ID lists you also have a search field that you can enter the ID number and search, however via Intella you only have the option of importing a list rather than searching directly for a number.

Is this something that could be added as we frequently use the Item ID as a means of quickly identifying emails of interested between clients and other reviewers.

1.  How could we point an Intella install to the local copy of ScanPST so that when I file has issues, it can be automatically run if chosen? Or if something like Stellar Phoenix.

2.  When X number of keywords are applied to an index singularly or by keyword list, make it possible to generate an output that would create separate folders of each keyword content using the keyword as the name regardless of the exported format (pdf, pst, etc.).

If scanPST can't be made to automatically run at least have the option to export the file, run the ScanPST and import the file (like the OCR process) so the problem files can be dealt with.

And definitely add my wish to point 2 as well, being able to export data sets out into different folders (as an option) would be fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...