[locked] Wish list/suggestions V1

AdamS

I had seen that empty documents flag before but didn't think it applied to emails as it's under the documents and files section, but that's great works perfect.

And with the hot keys I do remember seeing that up there but for some reason the brain didn't send the messages to the fingers.

Can I ask if there is a specific reason why we have to use dual hot keys (alt+left arrow, alt+numpad 1 etc) purely from a usability perspective it's a process that forces you to stop, look at the keyboard and use two hands before you can continue with the review. Times that process by 1000 and you are talking a significant time added to some reviews.

If you remove the need to press alt then using the arrows with one hand and the other on the numpad keys you can review without needing to stop quite as much. And if the spacebar for flagging is implemented this is a nice big key that is easy to hit without looking at the keyboard.

We will see what we can do once we tackle the shortcuts in our code. One reason to use modifier keys like Alt and Ctrl is that the other keys used in the key stroke have very common uses, e.g. moving a cursor around. However, as the Previewer is largely a read-only component, maybe we can simplify it without causing other usability issues. We'll see.

I love the timeline feature, this is a great way to show small data sets in a meaningful fashion, however I'm hoping you already have plans to take it further.

Currently exporting the graphic is a good first step, I'd love the ability to be able to create a report based on the timeline.

Ideal would be a HTML or some form of interactive report which visually appears very similar to the way the timeline looks within Intella, then have the abliity to click on the links and view the email as you can from within Intella.

Edit - Sorry, I'm working on a few jobs at the moment which are very email intensive so I'm coming up with lots of little things and rather than do one big post I'm posting as I come across them so I don't miss any. A small issue which should be easy to fix. When previewing an email it generally opens up center of screen which puts the top half in the screen where the coloured ball is, and the bottom half where the list is. When I've finished previewing I close by the red X top right. If i miss that red X and click out in blank space next to the coloured ball the focus shifts and I deselect the coloured ball which I happen to be viewing. So far not a major problem, but when I reselect the coloured ball I have gone back to the top of the list and effectively lost my place so to speak.

Could an option for "resume last view" or something similar be put in place? Either as a check box in the preferences or with a quick pop up yes/no option when you reselect the ball..

Walt I just noticed that you can quickly move among the tags by pressing the letter which corresponds to the first letter in the tag name (ie pressing 'Q' will take you to the first tag starting with 'Q') not exactly what you are asking but it at least gives you a way to move that is faster than manually scrolling.

Unrelated but the main reason for my visit today :)

Keyword searching, having the ability to enter a list and then click 'search' would be fantastic. At the moment as my investigation progresses my keyword list grows, it's great that I have the option of remembering previous searches so I can reapply those searches to new sources that may be added, but when you have 100 keywords it's labor intensive to go and apply them one at a time.

Bulk search or something similar would be fantastic, that way I can add sources or using the 'include/exclude' options I can change what the search is applied to, and have a fast an easy way of conducting large searches without having to manually enter each one.

Edit - and while I'm on search at the moment the previous searches that are remembered change dynamically to always show the last term used on the top. This makes reapplying searches tricky as the order constantly changes. Having a choice of the list remaining static (ie new searches are added to the bottom of the list, and when reapplying the searches the order stays the same) would be very helpful. Maybe simply a tick box somewhere in the preferences which changes the way the 'search history' behaves.

Walt I just noticed that you can quickly move among the tags by pressing the letter which corresponds to the first letter in the tag name (ie pressing 'Q' will take you to the first tag starting with 'Q') not exactly what you are asking but it at least gives you a way to move that is faster than manually scrolling.

You're right, Intella does behave this way -- but only in the Tags Facet list. If you go to tag a document (or add a new tag), it does not permit this. Instead, in my experience, it jumps to the text field as soon as you start typing. They could use the text field as a filter box... As the user types a tag name, it narrows the list of tags in auto-complete fashion. Also, this would help prevent users from entering similarly named tags.

Okay I'm just playing with my new TEAM license so have a suggestion / wish straight up.

The ability to create .icf files is great, however on large cases it would be more effective if we could limit what files go into the .icf file. This would enable the manager to manage the work flow far more effectively that the blanket approach. Not to mention the logistics of sharing a 20GB .icf file are not all that friendly.

For example, if we could create an .icf file that only had emails for .PST file A and B, then another .icf file that had .PST C and D. This would give much smaller .icf files and would enable the manager to delegate who sees what. Could also be very useful when you may have junior staff assisting with an internal review and you don't want them to be able to see the emails of senior staff.

Along the same lines with the sharing of the case, this is fantastic for sharing on the internal network, it would be even better if I could designate who see's what and then have the share session allow multiple connections at the same time. This would be fantastic with any tags or comments that reviewers make show up in the Managers case for checking and merging (or removing if need be). I'm not sure how this may wash with the permissions needed by Intella when accessing the data as I suspect at the moment only one person can remote connect at a time and I know I can't open the case on the host machine while it is being shared, so having the ability to work on a case on the local machine while it is being shared would be excellent if the sharing permissions can allow that.

I know that would create some issues if two people make changes to the same document, but that could be overcome if the TEAM Manager always takes precedence, and any review tags / comments which may conflict are flagged up for checking on the TEAM Manager's screen.

You can connect to a shared case from up to 8 workstations at the same time and see other people's comments/previews/tags scroll by in real time.

Shared is a really great way to manage multiple users, but you are right -- as far as I know there is no way to grant access permissions to permit users to view different information.

• 2 months later...

Another query/wish

When previewing an email it seems the formatting and spacing is generally thrown out the window, which means if I'm previewing an email chain that has been forwarded/replied to etc many times I end up with a single paragraph of solid text, when I open that email in Outlook I can easily read the email chain and separate the individual emails, but the preview version is very difficult to do this.

Is there any way the preview of the emails can be made to preserve the spacing and layout to more closely represent the true view?

Edit : I just found some emails that are previewing correctly so obviously this is not something that happens with every email.

Also any feedback on the suggestions so far, are they possible/not possible, plan on being included in a future update/not planned etc?

And lastly I had previously been told about the 'empty document' filter option to assist identify emails with no body of text. This appears not to be working on Ver 1.6.3. Is anyone else noticing this or is it just me?

Oh and love the new search ability for individual to/from/cc etc fields.

Another query/wish

When previewing an email it seems the formatting and spacing is generally thrown out the window, which means if I'm previewing an email chain that has been forwarded/replied to etc many times I end up with a single paragraph of solid text, when I open that email in Outlook I can easily read the email chain and separate the individual emails, but the preview version is very difficult to do this.

Is there any way the preview of the emails can be made to preserve the spacing and layout to more closely represent the true view?

Edit : I just found some emails that are previewing correctly so obviously this is not something that happens with every email.

Also any feedback on the suggestions so far, are they possible/not possible, plan on being included in a future update/not planned etc?

The Contents tab shows the extracted text, not a native rendering of the email. This has the advantage that all text is shown, including any text that has been intentionally obscured (e.g. white text on a white background), but clearly it loses some of the formatting. Usually the paragraph structure is kept intact though, it's mostly table structures that are lost in my experience. Also sloppy use of the HTML standard by the original mail client can cause this. If you can provide us with sample emails, we can see whether it is something we can improve.

A native rendering of the email, as we already have for most common document formats, is indeed on the wishlist. At this moment I cannot predict yet when we will have this.

And lastly I had previously been told about the 'empty document' filter option to assist identify emails with no body of text. This appears not to be working on Ver 1.6.3. Is anyone else noticing this or is it just me?

Oh and love the new search ability for individual to/from/cc etc fields.

Can you describe the emails that fail to be classified as empty documents? E.g. do they show a Contents tab, and if so, what is shown it it?

For the current case I'm looking at the emails in question have no contents tab.

I'm just out of the case at the moment but will have another look tomorrow when I return and give you some specifics. Most of the emails came from an OST file so I'm not sure if that has any effect.

• 3 months later...

Howdy, been a while since I darkened this forum so I'm back.

I'm working on a job at the moment where the team have prepared a large set of keywords for me. Unfortunately they didn't know the search rules for the + sign and have entered all these terms with an extra space that I now have to manually delete so I can use the sets.

ie - keyword as given "john + david" which needs to have the spaces removed to look like "john+david"

Would it be possible for Intella search to be changed so that it recognises the + and will work correctly regardless of the extra space?

Also, not sure if this has been discussed before but the ability to import a keyword list with support for .txt, .doc and .xls(x) would be a fantastic addition. Failing that just the ability for a free form area where we can paste in our keywords in a bulk lot.

Hello Adam,

Intella 1.6.4 considers a separate special character (like "+") a syntax error. This contraint will be removed in the future versions by ignoring those single characters in queries.

Note that Intella uses "AND" connection by default, so using "+" syntax is not necessary. The queries "john +david" and "john david" are equivalent (meaning "all documents with both words: 'john' and 'david'"), so you can remove "+" signs from queries in your list.

Thanks Alex, a little experimentation showed me that :)

I have come across another issue which is a bit perplexing. My Tags don't seem to be able to be sorted alphabetically, rather they are staying the in order in which they were created. Is it possible to force the Tags to sort alphabetically?

This is when I select the tags facet and then the full list of tags are displayed in the bottom left.

Having a large tag set which is difficutl to work with out of order.

Edit - please disregard, close case and reopen and they are now sorting correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the timeline feature, this is a great way to show small data sets in a meaningful fashion, however I'm hoping you already have plans to take it further.

Currently exporting the graphic is a good first step, I'd love the ability to be able to create a report based on the timeline.

Ideal would be a HTML or some form of interactive report which visually appears very similar to the way the timeline looks within Intella, then have the abliity to click on the links and view the email as you can from within Intella.

Hi Intella people, any feedback on the timeline feature at this point, plans on added functionality? I'm giving it a hammering for this job and having the ability to create reports like this would be absolutely perfect! Visual for non techs (board members love timelines) then being able to click and view emails would be great.

Also what is this 'social graph' that I can export? I've tried it a couple of times then viewed it in Gelphi and the result was just a couple of dots joined by a line..

Hello Adam,

Some Timeline improvements have already been made and will be part of the Intella 1.7 release: deduplication, visualization of cellphone-related information (calls, SMS messages, ...), the use of email Sender headers is now optional (emails can have both a From and a Sender header), improved rendering + a legend, better tooltips. I like your idea of exporting out the image together with links to their items! We may add that in a future release, I see how this makes sense.

The social graph export is a step towards a full-blown social graph visualization that we want to add in the future. The social graph differs from the timeline in that it abstracts from the actual items (emails, calls, ...) and concentrates only on who contacts whom.

The Gephi visualization should work, though Gephi may have a bit of a learning curve. Have you looked into their tutorials? If all nodes are on a line, perhaps these items did not have any social data associated with them. Can you check the content of the produced file with a text editor?

I must confess I didn't really give much thought to what a social graph might be, so I didn't look into Gephi's help files either. All I did was highlight a few emails from different users, then export a social graph and open it in Gephi.

I wasn't expecting to have to configure the software (lazy of me I know), so when the fist view didn't show me anything I just left it alone.

Any chance you could post a screen grab of what a good social graph might look like to give me some idea of what can be accomplished?

Hi Adam,

I have attached two samples of the experiments I did myself with Gephi a while ago, using Intella's social graph export.

The first is a visualization of all emails in the well-known Enron case that mention the term FERC (= Federal Energy Regulatory Commission). I tuned the layout settings to find cliques of people and applied a coloring scheme that statistically tries to determine such cliques. As you can see, such visualizations immediately raise questions such as: what determines these cliques (perhaps it reflects organizational structure, or perhaps the term was relevant at different points in time with different employees involved), why are certain cliques loosely connected and through whom?

The second example is a visualization of all email correspondents in a test PST containing emails from mailing lists. In some mailing lists the direct communication structure is clearly visible, in others everyone seems to communicate with a single contact only: the list server.

I have much more insightful visualizations, but unfortunately these are made from private data sets and therefore cannot be shared.

Does this explain what you can achieve with social graph visualizations? Do you see a use for those? We love to hear your feedback as it helps us shape our solutions.

ENRON, FERC, degree filtered.png

mailing lists.png

• Like 1

Okay those sort of make sense to me now. Off the top of my head I can't see how I could apply that to the work I do, but I produce what my clients want, so if I show that to a client and the like it then I'll duplicate it.

While I'm here :) could we have an option for the email address facet filter to have "no filter"? That way we can see all email addresses, also would be great to be able to sort by domain and export a list direct to csv/excel as a quick way to see all the email addresses...or is there another way I can do that now?

• 1 month later...

Keyword searching, having the ability to enter a list and then click 'search' would be fantastic. At the moment as my investigation progresses my keyword list grows, it's great that I have the option of remembering previous searches so I can reapply those searches to new sources that may be added, but when you have 100 keywords it's labor intensive to go and apply them one at a time.

Bulk search or something similar would be fantastic, that way I can add sources or using the 'include/exclude' options I can change what the search is applied to, and have a fast an easy way of conducting large searches without having to manually enter each one.

Any feedback on the ability to import a keyword list for searching for Intella and Team Reviewers? From a usability perspective I would put this absolute top of my list for things that I think Intella needs :)

Hi Adam,

Intella has the ability to search with keyword lists. There is a special facet dedicated to this, called Keyword Lists (i.e. this functionality is not inside the Search box at the top). You simply browse to a text file with keywords and it is then available as a keyword list in the case.

However, reading your earlier post, I think you want to be able to edit this list as well, am I right? Once the list is added to the case, it is static. So if you want to change the list, that can only be done by removing the list and adding the updated file back in.

Also these lists are in no way connected to the search history of the field at the top. That's an interesting idea though...