Request: Bates Stamps for PDF exports

philrodo

Unless I'm missing the obvious, when exporting files to PDF format, the individual pages are not numbered. We need the ability to Bates Stamp individual pages. 

I realize that we can add unique prefixes to the file names of the exported PDFs and add these as a header or footer to each page of the exported PDFs, but that doesn't provide for a unique stamp on each page.

I'm also noticing that there are problems with some of the PDF exports. For example, I can preview certain files and when clicking on the "view in original application" button, the file is displayed properly in Word, Excel, etc. However, when exporting to PDF some of the files do not export in original view format. Why is that? I've experimented with all the export settings and for certain files I either get the extracted text only or don't get anything at all (when selecting Original View only). There is nothing wrong with these files as they can be opened in their original application without problem. So something doesn't work properly in the rendering of the PDFs and I can't tell you what's might be causing this, since it only happens with some files, but not all. 

Please let me know if you require additional information.

Best regards, Phil  

Hi Phil,

Numbering and stamping of individual pages is possible only when you export to Load Files. So you can try the following approach:

1) Select export to Load File.

2) Select type of numbering. If you don't want to use "Load File" numbering, then you can just select the "advanced" mode and enter a name template like "PREFIX-%000num%" (means PREFIX-001, PREFIX-002 and so on).

3) Select Load File format and include images. Set the image format to "PDF".

4) Now on the "Headers and footers" page you can include the "PAGE_NUMBER" field.

Regarding the second issue, can you send us an example of a file that can't be rendered to PDF format? Also it would help if you can send the export logs.

Igor:

Thanks for the reply. Bates stamp numbering on the PDFs would be very helpful. Please consider adding this as an enhancement request. I'll try what you suggested with the load files, but I presume that if the PDFs didn't render properly when exporting to PDFs than the same thing will undoubtedly happen when exporting to load file. 

How do you want me to send you the file that wouldn't render to PDF? (Actually, there were many files, but I can send you one sample.) Frankly, I've seen this PDF rendering problems a lot in prior exports as well. So it's not restricted to one or two documents. I'm sure, if you add a bunch of Microsoft Office documents to Intella and then try to export them all to PDF, you'll see that a number of them won't render properly. 

And when you say export logs, what export logs? Do you mean the main.log and the warning.log for the date that the export was undertaken? 

Please let me know. Thanks.

Best regards, Phil 

Hi Phil,

Can you send the sample file and the logs to support@vound-software.com?

> And when you say export logs, what export logs? Do you mean the main.log and the warning.log for the date that the export was undertaken?

Yes, exactly.

Thanks.

Just in case you are not aware, you can Bates number and redact PDF files in Acrobat Pro.

Thanks. Yes, I realize that. But the problem is that when you export a bunch of documents from Intella to PDF, you would have to manually bates stamp each PDF keeping track of the pages in each PDF, which would be a nightmarish proposition. That's why it would be ideal if Intella could do this automatically during the export process. 

Acrobat also allows you to combine multiple PDF files into a single file that can be Bates stamped, marked for confidentiality and redacted.

I do agree that it would be nice if Intella offered Bates stamping, so that the log file would include your Bates numbers plus meta data.  I do see some issues with implimentation of Vounds part, i.e.  since the log file tracks by file, not each page of a file, the log would have to show the Bates numbers range for a specific file.

I will continue to use Acrobat Pro since it does a good job.  The only downside to Acrobat Pro is the cost of the software, but the cost is trivial when considering the cost of having an outside vendor perform this type of work.

Cheers,

Hagrid

Just my $2.00 worth!  Disclaimer: My opinion is still worth only 2 cents, but has been adjusted for inflation.

Hi Phil, Hagrid,

philrodo: That's why it would be ideal if Intella could do this automatically during the export process. 

Hagrid: I do agree that it would be nice if Intella offered Bates stamping, so that the log file would include your Bates numbers plus meta data.  I do see some issues with implimentation of Vounds part, i.e.  since the log file tracks by file, not each page of a file, the log would have to show the Bates numbers range for a specific file.

Again, as I described above you can do that with Intella now. If you choose "CSV" load file format and include images only (image format: PDF), you would basically get what you what: PDFs + CSV with custom metadata including Bates numbers. Using the field chooser you can add any metadata in the CSV including Bates numbers (RECORD_ID_START, RECORD_ID_END, NUMBER_OF_PAGES). Did you try that approach?