Search Issues

AdamS

I'm not sure if I'm missing a step here, I seem to have problems getting my head around search sometimes.

I log into a connect case and I'm trying to isolate emails within a tag list that have a keyword.

I select the tag I'm interested in from the 'type' list, highlight and select include.

then enter the keyword and search.

I end up with the total list of keywords, ie not just from within the tags that I've selected to include.

The same happens if I reverse and include the keyword then search by the tag.

Hi Adam!

Let me assist you here, but before I do that I'd like to understand what exactly you are after. You see, I'm a bit confused because you have mentioned three types of searches (Emails, Tags, Keywords) but I think you only want to use the two (Emails, Keywords). I will describe the process of finding emails with certain keyword below:

1. Enter desired keyword in the keyword search input (upper left side). For me this is phrase "test" (without quotation marks)
  2. Press "Enter" on the keyboard

That should display one cluster referring to all the items having "test" in the metadata. For me it is 6162 different kinds of items (emails, documents, etc.).

If I understand you correctly, then now you wish to filter only items which are emails. In order to do so, please take the following steps:

1. Expand Type Facet (facets panel on the left), then Communications
  2. Select Email message
  3. Click on the arrow next to the Search button in this facet and chose Include

You should see all the emails with keyword "test".

Now, I should make one remark. The Results Panel (the one which lists all your searches; top right corner) still shows you hit counts for original queries. So for me it still shows 6162 items matching keyword and over 194.000 emails (included). However, it is the Cluster Map and Items Table which have changed. The only cluster in CMap is now showing 2243 items and the same count is reported by Items Table. This is by design.

I hope that this helps you out. If not, please elaborate more on what facets are you using and what kind of results you are expecting.

Thanks Lukasz, it does indeed function as described, this was a PICNIC error.

The only difference was that I was trying to search within a set of tagged items, my problem was that I picked a small set to test on and the search word I was using simply didn't appear in any of the tagged emails, so when I "included" the tag the number in the ball didn't change. If I pick a word that actually exists somewhere in the tagged items then I have it working as required.