Overlay functionality

jcoyne

Hi, 

We have a client who we are attempting to steal away from relativity.

The client has provided us with a few pst's of the files that they are currently viewing in relativity and a report setting out an internal relativity number, which they refer to DocID and to which email subject line it refers too.

We do not have (and likely cannot get) a load file, neither do me have message ID or MD5 meaning that its not 100% sure we can match with a unique email. we may be able to get message ID's from relativity.

I would be keen to know how I can Import or 'Overlay' the relativity DocID over the relevant Intella Item ID's using the overlay functionality in the current version.

All comments welcomed.

Hi,

Note that in this reply I have assumed that the Relativity report is in tabular format.

This is a bit of a hard situation to be in however, it may be possible to ingest the PST file into Intella than overlay the Relativity metadata. 

The issue is that you don't have a reliable common identifier from Relativity and Intella which you can use to match the correct Relativity metadata to the correct item in Intella. If you could get the MD5 hash then that would help however, even MD5 can be problematic. Consider two different emails with the exact same attachment, which Relativity metadata fields are assign to which attachment? Also, Relativity may hash emails differently to how we hash them. Obtaining the message-IDs may better your chances to match the items.

You could try to match the items by using a number of metadata fields to increase the likelihood that it is the correct item. You could load the PST into Intella then export a CSV from Intella with a number of fields (e.g. Item ID, Message-ID, Subject, From etc.). You will then need to match the individual items from the Relativity report and the items in the Intella csv. When matches are found, you will need to add the Item ID from the Intella csv to the corresponding item in the relativity report.

The Relativity report can then be used to load the data into Intella as an overlay. The Item ID field will be used when importing the report. Message-ID gives the best chance to identify emails. Subject and From can be used to handle rare cases where Message ID is the same for many items.  Other fields such as location and dates may be included in the Intella csv export to help with matching the items reliably.

You will probably need someone with skills in Excel to write complex formulas (using multiple metadata fields) that will match the items.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your response.

We are going through the process of manually finding the most relevant documents and noting the Intella Item_ID in the spreadsheet. (there is 1200 so whilst not a great manual process is do'able)

Once we have this file (CSV file or similar) how do we import into Intella and get it to write the relativity ID's to a field in the appropriate Item_ID's record. I have done this previously via a load file import, but never via the overlay functionality?

Hi,

Once you have a csv or dat file ready with an Intella ID reference (e.g. Item ID), select 'Import Overlay File' under the File menu. In the 'Column Mapping' screen you need to check the 'Item ID' option in the 'Specify item identifier column' settings and match the Intella ID reference field.

In terms of importing the Relativity ID, you will need to import this field as a tag column (similar to when importing a load file). The attached example shows that I have selected the field 'Identifier' however, the Relativity ID field may have a different name. Note that there may be other fields that you need to import as tag columns as well.

FYI, we have overhauled the load file/overlay import function in 1.9.2. It will be a lot easier to import load files and overlays in this version.

Jon

Column Mapping.JPG