Exclude path name from searches

AdamS

I'm running a number of keyword searches at the moment and just noticed that the path name is also reflected in results for responsive documents.

By this I mean I search for the keyword 'pyramid' across all documents and emails, and document/emails which contain the word pyramid in the file path (as shown under the 'Location' field in the 'Properties' tab) The document itself had no hits for the keyword, yet it was still showing in results due to the path naming conventions.

It may be relevant under some circumstances where people are trying to locate folder names, however as a default search behavour I think this gives off too many false positives to be of value. If the search could have the option to include/exclude path details and other irrelevant data from the hit results I think this would be a more workable solution.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

What about excluding path hits when using a keyword list (no checkboxes for search options)?  

I seem to recall there being a way to prepend each keyterm in the list with something like 'notpath', but I cannot find where I think I recall that from.

Hello,

You can indeed do a search like e.g. "car NOT path:car", but a drawback is that items that have a hit for "car" in another field besides the path field are then also excluded. What I suspect you really want is to simply ignore the text in the path field.

Fortunately, the Keyword Lists does take into account the search options selected in the Keyword Search panel. You can simply unselect the Path field there.

Note that in Intella 2.3 we added a separate "File name" field. Depending on your situation, you may want to uncheck that one as well.

We plan to give the Keyword Lists facet its own search options list in a future version, to make this type of control more apparent.

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Hello,

You can indeed do a search like e.g. "car NOT path:car", but a drawback is that items that have a hit for "car" in another field besides the path field are then also excluded. What I suspect you really want is to simply ignore the text in the path field.

Fortunately, the Keyword Lists does take into account the search options selected in the Keyword Search panel. You can simply unselect the Path field there.

Note that in Intella 2.3 we added a separate "File name" field. Depending on your situation, you may want to uncheck that one as well.

We plan to give the Keyword Lists facet its own search options list in a future version, to make this type of control more apparent.

Wow, I had NO idea the keyword list search adhered to the check boxes under the individual keyword search box.  That makes things much easier, thanks!

On 8/20/2019 at 6:32 PM, Chris said:

I didn't realise this either, and it's something I've been wanting for ages haha