Handling Exceptions in Intella

Keaton Young

Hello,

I would like some help regarding handling exceptions in Intella.

When I run across an exceptions and I want to reprocess, do I need to reindex the entire case?

Is there a way to just reprocess the exception items?

When I have processing errors, will they be able to be resolved  by reprocessing?

How can I tell if a PDF was unable to be OCR'd? Will it be a Processing Error? I/O error?

Please advise,

Keaton

Hi Keaton, I've had some similar thoughts myself and this is the approach I've taken.

Exception items I will note the files and depending on the size/number I'll either go to the original source documents and then copy them into their own folder called 'Exception Reprocessing', or export them directly from Intella. Then I will attempt to correct the issues that stopped Intella processing them in the first place (OST's are quite common here so ScanPST can be helpful). I'll generally set up a 'test' intella case seperate from the main case to test the exception items until I'm satisfied I can process them all, or as many as possible. 

I'll then add the 'Exception Reprocessing' folder as a new source and index it merging it with the main case. 

With regards to the PDF docs and OCR, Intella has no native OCR capability, the way to locate PDF's which cannot be searched is with the 'empty documents' flag, you can see that directly under the 'features' facet, from there you can highlight the documents you want to export for OCR, OCR them with your tool of choice, they can then be imported back into Intella and they will be searchable.

Hi Keaton,

> Is there a way to just reprocess the exception items?

It's not possible in the current versions to re-process specific items in a selective way, so you would need either full reindexing or to add a new source containing corrected versions of the files as described by Adam.

> When I have processing errors, will they be able to be resolved  by reprocessing?

It depends on the nature of the error. For instance, if a corrupted source file is the problem, it is unlikely that repeated processing would help. From the other hand, some types of errors, like OutOfMemory can be resolved by tweaking memory parameters and reindexing.

> How can I tell if a PDF was unable to be OCR'd? Will it be a Processing Error? I/O error?

If an item is OCRed successfully and the OCRed text is imported back to Intella, the item should appear in the "OCRed" section of the Features facet. If this did not happen, it may indicate a problem with processing that item in the external OCR tool.