New permissions

AdamS

I was playing around with the latest Connect and I created a new account type called 'Case Manager', I gave that account the permission 'Manage own case and authorize reviewers'. 

I then logged in as 'admin' on the Connect server, authorized my own account as a 'Case Manager' and shared the case. I was anticipating when I logged in to connect there would be a new tab or new options on the dashboard to enable me to nominate reviewers but I can't see anything different from that log in to my normal reviewer log in.

Is this a glimpse of a feature yet to come or am I missing something obvious?

Edit: actually on further experimenting perhaps I was misunderstanding the role of this permission. I was thinking in terms of access control where I as the admin could create a case and then designate a 'case manager' in my clients office. Then I share that case from my server and then the client can log in as a case manager and then internally create reviewers who could log in and review the data.

But it appears this is more for an internal thing from what I've figured out, so I could set up a 'admin light' profile and allow other people here to set up and administer individual cases while I as the main admin could over see any/all cases on the server.....is that right?

Hello Adam,

In version 1.8.3, 3 new permissions have been added to Intella Connect:

• Can manage own cases and authorize reviewers - user with this permission will have access to Intella Connect Dashboard, specifically, sections Cases, Activity stream and About. The cases list will be showing only those cases of which this user is the creator.
  • Can manage all cases and authorize reviewers - user with this permission will have access to Intella Connect Dashboard, specifically, sections Cases, Activity stream and About. The cases list will be showing all available cases.
  • Is an Administrator of this Connect Server - allows users to access Intella Connect Dashboard, specifically, sections User management, System notifications, Settings and About.

It is important to understand that Roles can be assigned in two ways:

• Roles are assigned to users per case. This means that a user can have different roles in different cases. In Intella Connect each user can have zero, one or many roles assigned to it in any given Case. To assign roles to users per case, click on Cases in the left side menu in the Intella Connect Dashboard, select a case and then click on Authorizations button.
  • Roles are assigned to users globally. Only the above mentioned three permissions can be assigned to users globally and such permissions are related to server or case management. To assign roles to users globally, click on User management in the left side menu in the Intella Connect Dashboard, Server and case administration section and then Global authorizations button.

So to address your particular situation that you described: when user is assigned 'Can manage own cases and authorize reviewers' permission by using Global authorizations, then this user upon logging in will be shown Intella Connect Dashboard with the list of cases of which this user is the creator. This user can then share and unshare those cases and assign users to roles for those particular cases. It is not possible for this user to create new users, only assign them to cases.

When assigning permissions for users to administer their own cases, the users get their own version of the Admin Control Panel. From there they are able to see cases that they have processed and added to the location set up for storing cases to be shared in Connect. Cool feature.

Here is my question—

After someone who is a case admin has shared their case, once the page is refreshed, the case shows locked in their control panel. It does not show locked in the admin panel, and can be unshared from there. Is this intended behavior?

Also, when someone is added as a case admin of a case they did not process, should the case show up in their control panel?

Thanks

Hi lmwashere!

Thanks for reporting the "case locked" issue, it seems that it will have to be addressed by us as it clearly shouldn't be locked. And yes, if you can see (manage) a case then you can unshare it, even if it was shared by another user.

If you have "can manage own cases" permission, then the case will show up in your list only if you are it's creator. This information is stored in the case.xml file.

If you have "can manage all cases" permission, then the case creator field is ignored and you are able to manage all cases.

Thanks Lukasz,

What should happen if I process a case, and then assign someone else as a case administrator on that case? Would they have to be able to manage all cases for it to show up in their control panel?

Should that just be used to define an admin for the case who is not listed as a case admin in the global definitions? 

Thanks

Josh

Hello Josh,

In Intella Connect, the case has its Creator. The case Creator is the user who has been set as Creator during the process of creating the case. After the user is designated as the case Creator, it is not possible to change that in Intella Connect User Interface. 

So answering your first question: yes, that user would need "Can manage all cases and authorize reviewers" because he was not creator of this case.

I'm not sure if I understand your last question correctly, could you please explain your question in a bit more detail. Please note that roles are user defined, so when you mention "case admin", I'm not sure which permission this role has.

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your answer. I have modified the permissions for the people I want to be able to manage cases. I gave them the ability to manage all cases. That solved the issue with cases being locked out after they shared them.

For clarity,

Specific users were previously allowed to manage and share their own cases. Once added to Intella Connect, the case would show up and reviewers could be assigned. Once the case was shared by them, it would show as locked after a browser refresh. The case would then have to be un-shared or reviewers added from the admin account.

These specific users are now allowed to manage all cases, which solves the issue of the locking cases, but also allows them to access other cases.

To expand on my question from the previous post, perhaps the best way is to explain:

In my situation, I am the sys admin for connect, there are a group of users who process and share cases to a third group of folks who are reviewers only. Assuming the Case Processor (Case Admin) group has the permissions to manage their own cases, not manage all cases.... I was thinking that if Case Processor person A processes a case in Intella to help out case processer person B, Case processor person A should be able to add Case Processor Person B to that case and allow them to share the case/assign reviewers. This case should then show up in Case Processor Person B's control panel so that they can take back over responsibility for the case.

After thinking on this issue for a bit, I think that it is not possible to do this without allowing them to manage all of the cases. So perhaps I have answered my own question.

Thanks Again