Auto tagging keywords with selected options

Brad Ott

I want to tag messages that contain names in the to/from fields. It appears auto tagging searches every part of the message and not what I have selected in the options. Is this the correct way it should function? 

Is the only option is to setup a task to sesarch those fields then tag?

Hello Brad,

Do you want to use tags to mark email with specific senders and recipients? You could use the identites feature to create them based on the email address and then use the identities facet to create searches in the "to" field and another one in the "from" field. The common items would be the ones that fit the criteria. Then you would be able to tag them by bulk. Hope this answers your question. If not, please do elaborate on what you wish to achieve.

I'm not understanding what you mean by auto tagging. I have both Intella Pro and Intella Connect, but I'm not familiar with that feature and can't seem to find anything about it.

As you suggested, a task would do that very nicely. I have several tasks that I run at ingestion that tags items. We are a MS Exchange shop, so I apply a tag to messages relating to their "Importance" and "Sensitivity" flags. This way a user can quickly select the tag to see all messages flagged as High importance, or sensitivity set to Private for example. 

How does auto tagging work? Does it offer an advantage?

Jacques

There is an auto-tagging button on Keyword Lists on the facet Search. I have used it in many ways, but mostly to tag an item of the term that was a hit so I can export a CSV. Then the client can see what terms hit on what item with some metadata with a tag column. Also helps in searching CSVs that are large in size to know what was a hit in a report so I can isolate those that were a hit to view manualy.

Case involves using just a list of email address the client is looking for. Then having to build basically their mailbox from data that is just a bunch of journal PSTs/EDBs and some other random custodian PSTs that are not the requested custodians. 

I did look at the identities tab but did not think of using that to create each custodian. When I hit Calculate, it gives my alot of email addresses that are not in the right format or just unhelpful with this data. It does look like I could have used the the identity details to get the task done but I just created a task for each custodian to search and tag.

OK, that rings a bell now. I don't use the keywords option very often. Is it possible to use a scope (e.g, to:, from:, author:, etc. in a keywords file - https://www.vound-software.com/docs/connect/2.5/Intella Connect Reviewer Manual.html#_field_specific_search)? I'll test it if I get a chance this week. If you can use a scope, that should yield the results you want.

Hi Brad,

I just tested it in Intella Connect, and it does allow you to use scope as part of your keywords in the keywords file (same as you would in the regular text search field).

As you may or may not know, using a field specific search (https://www.vound-software.com/docs/connect/2.5/Intella Connect Reviewer Manual.html#_field_specific_search) negates the need to select the scope via the gear icon.

I tested the below query and it worked. The caveat being this will not limit it to only those only between the two parties. You will have to then apply the recipient count facet filter on top of the results if you want only emails between the two parties (with the potential risk that if they CC/BCC themselves, your recipient count is now 2 and it will be missed if you use a recipent count of 1):

(from:person1@email.com AND to:person2@email.com) OR (to:person1@email.com AND from:person2@email.com)

Or let's say you have 5 people and you are looking for any emails where any of those five are a sender, and at least one of those five are recipients. With the same caveat as above regards recipient count, you could use this:

(from:(person1@email.com OR person2@email.com OR person3@email.com OR person4@email.com OR person5@email.com) AND to:(person1@email.com OR person2@email.com OR person3@email.com OR person4@email.com OR person5@email.com))

Alternatively, if you are looking for any email where any of the 5 are either a sender or recipient (even if with someone outside of the 5), you'd change the middle AND to an OR as follows:

(from:(person1@email.com OR person2@email.com OR person3@email.com OR person4@email.com OR person5@email.com) OR to:(person1@email.com OR person2@email.com OR person3@email.com OR person4@email.com OR person5@email.com))

As with the other two, the caveat being that there could be other recipients in addition to at least one of the 5 you are filtering on (either in the from, cc, or bcc fields).

The other caveat with all of the above is it's looking in the TO and FROM field as you are seeking to do. If the filtered addresses are only in CC or BCC (not in TO or FROM), they will not be responsive. You'd have to add cc: and/or bcc: to expand to include those.

If the above is not something you are familiar with, don't hesitate to post a follow-up question.

Jacques

Hi Brad,

One last update - I tested it in Intella Pro with the autotag option, and it works as expected. Of course if you have 5 email addresses in both TO and FROM, it makes for a long query and that's the name used for the tag it creates. But I believe it does achieve what you are trying to do.

Jacques

• 3 months later...

If you're only looking at email data, you might consider "agent:" as well

agent – searches in authors, contributors and email senders and receivers

You will get more results as it returns those hits in document metadata, but you can also just limit the search to Type>Communication>Email as well?