Refresh index

josepher

Hi folks. I have a large case that I have been working on for over a month. I need to add multiple PST files for additional users and I would like them to be indexed as separate sources. I added the new sources without indexing them at the time. I thought I would be able to "Refresh" the case to index just the additional data. It looks like "Refresh" is not an option (I'm using Intella Professional 1.8.4). Assuming this is true, is there a way to remove the sources for the data I cannot add with a simple refresh? I tried renaming the un-indexed source and creating a new source to index immediately but Intella recognized the PST file is queued up in another source. Re-indexing the entire dataset is not an option.

Any Assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

Ed this is something that I've come across as well, in your case you are stuck as you can't delete sources from Intella (this is something that we would like to see but I understand that because of the way the indexing works this is a very complex procedure), however deleting sources that have not yet been indexed should be simple, and I would strongly support any request to have this added as a feature.

Can I ask why re-indexing is out of the question? 

You shouldn't lose any tags (I haven't in any cases where I've re-indexed) and the only real penalty here is down time, and the Doc ID's will change, however this is generally only an issue if you have third parties marking documents by their ID number.

If you can't re-index then your only real option is to create a second case which only contains the new PST files and work with two cases for the remainder of the job. Re-indexing may actually be the quicker option for you rather than trying to run with two cases and the complications that will bring.

Also I'm curious as to why you want to have the PST's added completely separately rather than simply having them all in a single folder and index that folder? With the location facet you can always drill down to the individual PST's quite simply so I'm not sure what the advantage to having them added individually is?

Hi Ed, unfortunately Adam is correct when he says sources can not be removed, this is something that may be in a future release.

The feature you need is in version 1.9 which should be released in a few weeks. With this version you will be able to add say 5 PST files separately to an existing case then you will be able to click on the 'Index new data' button which will only index the 5 new PST sources.

Jon 

Hi Adam and Jon. Thanks for the responses. I found a work-around to add the PST file as a new source... I just needed to  create a fake source directory and point the un-indexed source to the blank directory (walking away for the night must've cleared my brain ;)). Also, I didn't want to re-index because we are using Intella Connect to share this case with other groups involved in the case. There are tags from multiple individuals along with notes/references that others have made to the item ID's from the original index. (Like the 3rd party you mentioned, Adam). The empty source doesn't even show up in Intella Connect (except in the activity stream).

Lastly, there are a lot of different sources for this case. Since I am working with multiple individuals, I am trying to organize the sources as clean as possible to prevent confusion.

Thanks again!

Ed