Navigating Path for Adding a Source

philrodo

OK, this has been going on for a while now with earlier versions of Intella. I had hoped that version 1.8+ would have fixed this by now. 

When adding a source file/folder to be processed in Intella, navigating the file path either results in error or produces a spinning wheel that takes for ever to show the path in Intella's Windows Explorer window. (See attached screen clipping.)

The workaround we normally employ is to manually enter the file path on the "Selected Folder" line. But this is a pain and doesn't avail us the opportunity to navigate the path, using the Windows Explorer window. 

This is a rather basic flaw. I can't believe that this only happens on our computers and that no one else hasn't run into this problem before. Is there a fix for this and if not, when can we expect that it will be fixed? 

Please let me know. Thanks. 

post-425-0-71453600-1421780834_thumb.png

I've never had that error on any version of Intella Phil, strange. There has always been a delay populating the file structure but usually no more than 5 seconds.

Edit : I'll have to correct myself here as it seems my memory after a months leave was a bit generous, file structure took around a minute to display on a case I just created. 

From memory you are using all remote work stations aren't you? Does this error occur when you are directly accessing the host machine?

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm on RDP. There should only be one mapped drive on the host machine to the file server. And I don't believe that it takes an unusually long time to shut down the system, although we have several examination stations in the lab, so it's hard to keep track of how each one behaves. 

Why would RDP make a difference? I have no issues accessing the Windows Browser MAPI through other apps or Windows. Why should this make a difference for Intella? 

Thanks for the feedback. But I don't understand why RDP would cause this problem. I presume that Intella uses the same Windows Explorer API that every other app uses and we don't have any problems running Windows Explorer through Windows or any other app while in RDP mode. 

Furthermore, this is not a matter of Intella being slow to display the computer tree. We get a fatal exception error (see screen clipping that was attached to my original post at the top of this thread). In other words, this sounds like a bug to me in Intella rather than anything else. 

You are correct that RDP seems to be causing this error as it's not happening when running Intella on the host PC directly. However, this still does NOT explain why this fatal exception error should be happening when accessing the host machine in RDP mode. I sure think that this is an Intella bug, since this problem does not happen with all our other software. We run everything in RDP mode as all our examination stations are located in the server room and we access them via RDP from other computers either inside or outside our local network. 

I sure hope that this can be fixed as it presents us with quite a dilemma, given the set up in our lab. 

Please advise. 

I have no idea how to turn off remote resource mapping (no feature or setting by that name exists under the RDP client app, either the app for Windows or the one for MAC OS X). 

I did some additional testing and found that this error occurs when we're using RDP from a MAC computer (using RDP from another Windows PC did not generate this error). The RDP client app we're using on MACs is the app that has been released by Microsoft for MAC OS X. 

In the RDP app's settings there is an option to make available to the Windows computer, Mac Disk drives or folders. We use a designated folder on the MACs to be able to quickly to copy files back and forth between the two computers. Apparently, this is what's causing Intella to choke when it tries to read the computer tree on the Windows host. Disabling the shared folder for the RDP file on the MAC does not cause Intella to choke and generate the fatal exception error. 

Is this something that can be fixed from your end? Like I said, Intella is the only product that's causing this exception error when using the RDP app on our MACs to access our Windows-based examination stations. All the other forensic apps we use (EnCase, X-Ways, IEF, etc.) have no problems opening up a Windows Explorer window within the forensic app and displaying the computer tree. 

I can send you the complete logs if you wish. But I think this is the relevant log entries:

[ERROR] 2015-01-21 16:42:13,904 [FileNodeExpander] Uncaught exception

java.lang.InternalError: Unable to bind C:\Program Files\Vound\Intella 1.8.2\ShellFolder to parent
at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2$4.call(Win32ShellFolder2.java:413)
at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2$4.call(Win32ShellFolder2.java:398)
at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2$ComInvoker.invoke(Win32ShellFolderManager2.java:540)
at sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder.invoke(ShellFolder.java:514)
at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.getIShellFolder(Win32ShellFolder2.java:398)
at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.access$200(Win32ShellFolder2.java:72)
at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2$9.call(Win32ShellFolder2.java:698)
at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2$9.call(Win32ShellFolder2.java:680)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2$ComInvoker$3.run(Win32ShellFolderManager2.java:513)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I hope that this can be somehow fixed. 

Please let me know. 

In the RDP app's settings there is an option to make available to the Windows computer, Mac Disk drives or folders. We use a designated folder on the MACs to be able to quickly to copy files back and forth between the two computers. Apparently, this is what's causing Intella 

So you are using remote resources from a Mac, mapping a drive..  Try turning it off and see if that solves your issue.

Remote resources links on Google

I said that turning it off solves the issue. But being able to share a folder on the MAC makes it easy to transfer files back and forth--so that's not really a good workaround. 

Furthermore, this still doesn't explain why this is  only an issue with Intella. I sure hope this can be fixed since this problem only happens with Intella. 

Have you considered using a different tool for the remote access? Team Viewer for example?

I know RDP is there and it's free but Team Viewer would give you far greater functionality and may resolve the issue instantly without having to wait for a possible fix.

Yeah, we use TeamViewer but usually from outside the lab. Inside the lab we normally use RDP because it usually works nicely and on the 27" iMac or external MAC monitors for the MacBooks, just blows up the Window to take advantage of the full 27" monitor with automatic scaling and no need to set up anything else. TeamViewer, doesn't scale nicely and I have yet to figure out, some of the PCs simply will not scale up to take advantage of the full 27" monitors.

In computers, nothing  works they way it's supposed to work. We've built a horrendous house of cards...