Sender vs From fields

philrodo

What is the difference between the email addresses captured in the SENDER and the FROM fields? From what I've read in the user manual, the Sender field may be populated in cases where the message author used a mailing list for distribution of the message. Are there exceptions to this? 

I have run into a rather perplexing situation, as follows

A number of messages were sent from User_A@domain.TLD to various addressees, all show a different email address in the Sender field, i.e., User_B@domain.TLD. Both User_A and User_B are members of the same organization and have mailboxes on the domain.TLD mail server. But User_B@domain.TLD was not included in the correspondence of these messages (i.e., was not a recipient of the messages). So how does "User_B@domain.TLD" email address gets captured as the Sender whereas in fact the messages in question all originated from "User_A@domain.TLD"?

Please advise ASAP as I'm being asked this question by the client and I'm at a loss as to how to explain this. 

Is it possible this is a PA sending emails on behalf of someone else via their account?

I seem to recall seeing something similar to this with PA's who have access to the boss's email account and are able to send emails from that address but their own email address is listed in the 'From' field.

I may be misremembering as this was some time ago...

What are you seeing in the 'From' field and is this any different when you open the email itself?