Export sort order--possible bug

todd.cooper

I'm not sure if this would be considered a bug, but it's a frustrating issue that's caught me twice . . . .

I ran a search to identify 22 documents I planned to export. I opened a Review tab with the documents to give a quick, visual run-through. From within the Review tab, I sorted the documents into the desired order. Then, also from within the Review tab, I highlighted the docs and exported them by adding them to an existing Export Set. This Export Set exports the docs in original format and uses the current table sort order. But what happens is, Intella uses the sort order of the documents from the Search tab even though the Review tab was the 'active' tab on my screen. Of course, the docs were not in the desired order on the Search tab, which means the Export IDs are not in the desired order.

And since the settings of an export set are locked in stone, there's very little I can do to correct these docs. I could delete the entire Export Set and start over, but there are over 6700 docs in the Export Set, so that would be a nightmare. Instead, I'll add these 22 docs to a new Export Set and will have to  remember that the ID for those docs listed under the original Export Set column is incorrect.

Here are some suggestions (wish list items!) that would help prevent this issue:

-  give users the ability to overlay data into custom columns post-indexing;

-  give us the ability to adjust Export Set configurations for subsequent exports; and

-  enable the option to use current table sort order for load file exports.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Re your suggestions:

-  give users the ability to overlay data into custom columns post-indexing;

This is on our 'to do' list. It is not going to be in the November release, but we are aiming to add it to the following release.

-  give us the ability to adjust Export Set configurations for subsequent exports; and

Can you provide more details regarding this. You can currently add to an existing Export set.

-  enable the option to use current table sort order for load file exports.

We will investigate the issue where you can't export in the order of the Review tab. But in regards to load file exports, this order is currently fixed. Attachments to emails are always exported directly after their parent email. This keeps these document families together, and allows for sequential review of parent items and attachments.

Thanks for the response, Jon.

It's great to hear that data overlay is coming! That feature alone would probably resolve 90% of the issues I've had with Intella.

- Re: the ability to adjust Export Set configurations for subsequent exports:

Example: Clients often produce documents to the requesting party on a rolling basis. When I'm creating those productions, I typically create an Export Set so that I can assign and track Production IDs for each document. But there's been a number of times where the documents produced in a later round need to be produced in a different format than those that were produced in the initial set--e.g., docs produced in Round 1 were produced as natives, without images, but there are docs in Round 3 that have redactions and need to be produced as images only. Since I can't change any of the Export Set settings, my only real option is to create a second Export Set and configure the document identifier to pick up where the original Export Set left off. This isn't a big deal when there are only a couple production rounds, but as the number increases things get cumbersome. To me, it would be best if I could have all of the productions under a single Export Set.

That said, this issue will be pretty well taken care of once we can overlay data into custom columns. When that happens, I'll just assign the identifiers outside of Intella and overlay the values into a custom column (e.g., Prod ID). Then I can apply different export settings to different groups of documents as necessary.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the explanation. 

You could try the following which may help before the overlay feature is added. When you create the second export set, you could use the Export ID column from the first export set as a document ID. That way the second export set will get exactly the same document IDs.