Exceptions while processing Outlook PST files

I have three related questions.

I ingested about 117 pst files in Intella Pro.

When I look at the exception list, there are about 14 pst files that appear in exception list (I am looking at the file name and not path).

However, 10 of these files were processed and I can see child items in the case. How is that exception to be interpreted?

Second, when I manually check, there are three other pst files which were a couple of GB in size and do not show me a single child element. These files are not listed in the exception list. When would this happen?

Lastly, I had to manually go through all 117 files in the location facet to see if there was any child element or not. Is there a way to identify containers that do not have a single child?

-Shirish

• 2 weeks later...

HI Shirish,

When you look under the Location facet, it tells you how many items are within a source you've added. If you see all 117 PSTs there, you should be able to quickly scroll and see if any only say 1 rather than a larger number.

image.png.1f395fde5c30b0f0b62aa81931e2be1d.png

Regards the exceptions, there is a facet that summarizes that (under Features, then Exception Items). Have you looked at that one?

image.png.e590971aa6a488aea33c51f3b16b5e5b.png

You can double click on any of them to apply that filter, then click on the cluster. Then open the Locations Facet and you will be able to see which sources contain entries with that exception. In the below screenshot, that's what I see when I double clicked on Unprocessable data, clicked on the cluster, then expanded the Locations facet.

image.png.1b87e82c4ea908ddbc08ebf2a64cb54b.png

In the manual under 7.1.3 (https://www.vound-software.com/docs/connect/2.7.1/Intella Connect Reviewer Manual.html#_features), you can scroll down a bit and read up about what each exception means.

On the INSIGHT tab, you can also scroll to the bottom and seledct the shortcut option to export all exception items (rather than doing it selectively).

image.png.c0143c34dc6059516f8c26c420443424.png

By the way, I responded to your earlier posting about how AND is treated when in quotes. Have a look at that one as well if you haven't yet.

Thanks for your response. That is what I ended up doing. But it is a little painful.

Imagine that I have multiple custodians and each custodian has multiple pst files.

Given the nesting of folders and the PST files within, it becomes quite cumbersome to expand all and check out. I also noticed that there is an option in the location facet to collapse all but there is no option to expand all. Maybe that is for a reason since deep nesting can create a havoc in that pane.

I was hoping to find a way of getting list of containers that did not have a single child element. Had that been there, I could have applied another filter to get the PST files.

I don't know if this will work, as I don't have an example with unprocessed PSTs. But you could choose the Type facet, containers, then email containers.

image.png.6a02304b16b474956c74238cc2ecda5e.png

Double click on Microsoft Outlook to display that in the cluster.

image.png.cafff4e4447f841f422a011be3a870f7.png

Then add a column called "Direct Child IDs" in the below pane. Click on gear icon which will open your Preferences window. The click on the gear icon for visible columns under "Table view" section.

image.png.f342d1238611ed0dbc4f19c3c4d858e1.png

Add the one for Direct Child IDs. You will now see the following (I reordered my columns of course):

image.png.5d94567127f34bb705e3585ca13494d4.png

Presumably if it didn't parse a PST, it would have 0 direct children.  You can sort by that column. Or select all the rows in the bottom pane and export to a CSV file and then use Excel to help filter the results.

Best,

Jacques

• 2 weeks later...