Case conversion from 2.x to 2.6 - first impression

Hi,

The recent upgrade from 2.5 to 2.6 requires to convert the cases. This is the first time since we use Connect a case conversion is required. However, we have done several conversion with Intella Team / Pro since we use the product since version 1.8 or so.

Cases can get quite large (several TB), when you have container based evidence every item is also cached in the "data" database within the case directory. This makes handling the case directory difficult (e.g. backups, etc.). Converting a case makes a copy of the whole case directory, then it rewrites some of the indices. The data directory was not touched by the conversion prcoess (as far as I can tell - I did a couple of test conversions and checked timestamps and file access logs).

I'd like to see the conversion process improved:

1) add an option for an in place conversion. Add a warning message that this might corrupt the case, so the user is responsible for making a backup previous to conversion. Backups should be created on a nightly basis anyways.

2) rework the process so all changed db-directories get copied / renamed to *.old or *.2-5 or sth. like that. If the conversion fails, the old databases can be restored very easily, no data should be lost.

3) Please consider an option to have an external location for the data-db directory. As far as I can tell the data-db is only changed upon processing and I'd like to have it sit on a separate storage volume.

Finally, I already created a support ticket for this, when your Connect setup needs to convert several large cases to upgrade from 2.5 to 2.6 the whole process falls apart, since you can't (effortless) run 2.5 and 2.6 in parallel. So either the not yet converted 2.5 cases stay offline for several days or the already converted 2.6 cases are offline until converting all cases has finished. This is not an option in a production environment.

regards,

Fabian

Guest Marco de Moulin

Dear Fabian,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and experience with the recent upgrade from 2.5 to 2.6. We appreciate your suggestions and concerns and will pass them on to our development team for evaluation.

At this time, there is not a workaround for the conversion process. However, you are able to run Intella Connect twice on the same machine, one for the previous version (2.5.1.1) and the latest version 2.6. The two instances need to be run as different users and with adjusted port numbers. Additionally, if you have Intella Pro, you can use it to convert old cases.

We understand the inconvenience of the current case conversion process and will evaluate how it can be improved to be less intrusive in the future.

Thank you again for your valuable input.

Best regards,

Marco de Moulin

Dear Marco, 

thanks for taking my feedback back to the development team.

7 hours ago, Marco de Moulin said:

However, you are able to run Intella Connect twice on the same machine, one for the previous version (2.5.1.1) and the latest version 2.6. The two instances need to be run as different users and with adjusted port numbers. 

Technically this is true for Intella Connect, however if you have Connect Plus one of the two instances won't get the Plus license.

Best regards,

Fabian

Guest Marco de Moulin

Hello @Fabian,

I hope you're doing well. I wanted to provide you with an update regarding running multiple copies of Connect on the same machine. Currently, having a second copy of Connect is only intended for conversion purposes. It's important to note that conversion is performed on one node, so having multiple nodes will not speed up the process. However, we are continuously evaluating ways to improve and enhance the upgrades in the future. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Marco